Saturday, June 10, 2006

God ran away
When we imprisoned her
And put her in a box
Named church.
God would have none
of our labels and
our limitations
and she said
“I will escape and plant myself
in simpler soil
where those who see, will see
and those who hear, will hear.
I will become a God – believable
Because I am free,
And go where I will.
My goodness will be found
In my freedom and
That freedom I offer to all –
Regardless of colour, sex or status,
Regardless of power or money.

Ah, I am God
Because I am free
And all those who would be free
Will find me
Roaming, wandering, singing.
Come, walk with me –
Come dance with me!
I created you to sing, - to dance
To love….

If you cannot sing
Nor dance, nor love
Because they put you also in a box.
Know that your God broke free
And ran away.
So send your spirit
Then to dance with her.
Dance, sing with the God
Whom they cannot tame nor chain.
Dance within, though they chain your very guts
To the great stone walls…
Dance, beloved,
Ah, Dance!

Edwina Gately from I Hear a Seed Growing, quoted in Francis Dewar Invitations: God's Calling for Everyone
(GREAT book, highly recommended!)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Beautiful.

Rainbow dreams said...

Excellent.... I love this...labels and boxes being one of my main gripes with religion - might look the book out

sally said...

beautiful. I am challenged to find a way to dance and sing again, for in the joy of them i find God xxx

Sue said...

This is beautiful. Thanks so much for posting it!

jo(e) said...

Oh, I like this.