Friday, December 03, 2010

Pick one moment during which you felt most alive this year.
(Author: Ali Edwards)

Thinking back, there were at first so many moments to choose from. 
Would it be the moment when middle child walked through the front-door, seconds into the surprise 50th birthday party that has to be one of the most special experiences of the year? I was just beginning to assimilate what was happening, and the teeny bubbles of joy that were mounting up as I realised how many dear and special people had been collected suddenly became a champagne-bottle of overflowing effervescent delight as I realised that all my children were there - and that they had done this...for me...
Or perhaps it would be the moment on St Matthew's Day when all the newly confirmed had received their candles, and were following FabBishop to the west end of the church,at the end of the first Confirmation since I became an incumbent...Their faces far outshone the candle flame and I was overwhelmed with delight that this was my place, these my people, to love and serve in God's name.
But I think, surprisingly, that it may just have been a whole series of moments during some teaching I did for the diocese a week or two ago.
I can claim no credit for the material I was delivering (which was wholly excellent) but, against my expectations, the session suddenly took flight, the room transformed by a sparkle that arrived from goodness knows where...
I remembered what it is like to teach a group who want to learn, to share enthusiasm with fellow enthusiasts, to dance without the music stopping...
I used to love teaching - now I remember why!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the birthday party moment!

Jan said...

What a special birthday!

And don't you just love it when things "click" and your passion and God's purpose come together like that? :)