Name 5 things you do when you should be doing something else.
- Well, clearly blogging itself is an essential, so it’s only right and proper that it should take priority over any other lesser task, such as preparing supper, or a sermon or making that difficult phonecall or…….If you are sufficiently misguided to insist that blogging is not, in fact, the reason that the sun rises in the morning, then perhaps that might just qualify…And with it blog-reading, blog-planning, checking emails, surfing generally, chatting via google or at rlp's, checking emails again (Surely someone must have mailed me in the past 2 minutes while I’ve been gazing out of the window) playing addictive little online games that involve bursting bubbles or dropping marbles, checking emails, blogging some more..and then seeing what telegrams I can build using the letters from the word verification whatsit..but I still don’t think you should really count it as procrastination. It's too important. Honestly.
- Then there’s reading… that teetering pile of theology books that has adorned my desk for weeks now, last month's Church Times from the loo, the latest bargain from the “speakeasy bookshop” (TeenWonder’s name for a strange little paperback exchange in town, which never seems to do enough business to stay open, (so must be a front for something…hence the title) the Cornflakes packet, anything you like as long as its not related in any way to Sunday’s Lectionary
- And I can’t possibly think straight while the desk and indeed the study looks like this…so I’ll tidy it. Not clean, no…because once I’ve got out the hoover that implies a degree of commitment to the task that is utterly foreign…but tidying can be as partial as I fancy. You do know that Schubert never had any intention of finishing that symphony, don't you?
Taking cuttings. I’m really not very good at houseplants, but I always have a few pots of geraniums about the place which produce babies most obligingly,-and those babes always need potting up,which reminds me that all the other plants need watering….
- And once I’m at the sink I can always put the kettle on…coffee anyone?
- Then I’ll drift past the piano and tinker around with the keys before returning to the serious centre for procrastination in the studyYou see, procrastination is not a numbers game, it's an art form, a way of life...Goodness, is that the time? And I've really not started sorting myself out for Sunday....