Saturday, February 29, 2020

Leap Day

Every four years, when this predictable but somehow unexpected gift of a day comes round, I determine to use it well. 
Perhaps this year I'll write a poem, or visit a long lost friend.
Maybe I should hold a party, or send letters to everyone I love, explaining just how important they are to me.
Whatever I do, surely the day can't be just ordinary. 

And yet, when it arrives, that's exactly what it is.
Tempting, then, to be disappointed.
I haven't done anything amazing.
I've just lived.

Except - isn't THAT extraordinary? 
I'm already almost three years older than my mother was when she died. 
That's a gift in itself.
And I've seen places and met people I would never have expected to.

More, I've had the delight of watching one of my children become a parent, and discovered just how overwhelming the joy of grand-babies can be.

According to my calculations I've been given 15 of these bonus Leap Days so far...and yes, that's fun but actually it's no more amazing than the fact that I woke up this morning and have done so reliably through almost 60 years. 

So, today has simply reminded me that all time is a gift. I am particularly good at squandering it, but at least today has reminded me to be thankful.





No comments: