Saturday, September 11, 2004

Diaries and their ways...

I'm very excited today, on 2 counts...1)I have lost my ebay virginity
2) I have managed to buy (on the recommendation of a friend...so please don't tell me I'm wrong now ;-) ) a Psion 5 pda to replace the filofax that has been part of my life for far longer than is reasonable....
I really was beginning to lose control of all the bits of paper bursting out of it, so am hoping this may be the start of a revolution. An organised Kathryn would, of course, be another first...but no mentions of leopards and spots, I beg you.
However, having spent what seems an inordinate amount on said electronic diary (though substantially less than others were bidding...I went for a Buy It Now option, which was well within my notional reserve), I then found Curate's Dregs here considering the clerical timetable, and proposed antipodean revisions to it. I posted a reply along the lines of my current sense that my training incumbent, God bless him, is so concerned that my family should not be deprived unduly of their newly ordained mother that he allows me almost too much time off. As well as my official Wednesday, I'm also currently free most Saturdays (give or take sermon prep, of course) and am also encouraged to see his day off, Monday, as mainly a study day...This is wonderful and generous, but tends to leave me feeling guilty, that the parish is not getting all the curating they are entitled to. It's a real struggle, after years of secular work, and a diary groaning with the effort of reconciling the children's timetables with my own, to accept that it really can be OK to leave a day blank; to be offered an escape route from the tyranny of the diary, and believe that it's actually not a problem if every day isn't fully booked.
Perhaps with my new toy, the fact that gaps in the schedule aren't obvious to the world may improve my attitude. I seem to remember alot of talk at college about the need to be rather than do...
Do-be-do-be-do

No comments: