Saturday, August 16, 2008

Just wondering

whether this blog is truly sustainable at the moment?
We returned from holiday almost a week ago, and I've managed only a very flat and factual catch up post since then...The truth is that, like every curate I've ever known, I'm finding the transition to incumbency so demanding of my time and energies that there's very little left over for quality blogging.
I'm not going to abandon ship entirely - there are too many precious connections that were first made through this blog - but I guess I need to be realistic about what I can actually hope to achieve here. Whenever I sit down at my desk, there are any number of parish jobs clamouring for attention,- both the immediate tasks of each week, and the longer term revisions and innovations that are bound to be part of a new ministry. Blogging and blog-surfing feel like increasingly guilty pleasures when there is just so much that has to be done.Given what I feel I can reasonably publish, I'm simply not sure if it's worth it - I know my most recent posts have been anything but remarkable.The parish issues and events that were sometimes the basis for past reflections mostly feel too delicate to write about now...and our domestic comings and goings are at best of limited interest to others. That leaves me with a bit of sermon blogging, a Friday Five now and then - and the occasional general reflection when time permits. It doesn't sound promising, does it? I'm sorry.Perhaps things will settle down in time, and I'll be able to return to more reflective blogging but realism suggests that for the moment things will be pretty dull around here. Bear with me if you can...and, if you have been, thanks for reading.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just want to say, I am a recent reader of your blog and I appreciate (not always agree) with it. You don't need me to say it, but I will. Quality not quantity - that applies to all things!
Take a break, use your time effectively and prioritise as best as you can/allowed to. I don't mind one article a month from you.

All the best, regardless.

theMuddledMarketPlace said...

hey, who wants the grizzly details of parochial life? not me- that's for certain.
and my guess is that having lived them, there's little point in writing about 'em as well.

thing is.....there's more to being a curate/vicar/area dean/bishop/archbishop...than church.
(God bless it and great though it is....)

who knows why we all blog anyway?!

Erin said...

I enjoy reading what you are up to but I certainly can understand the pressures of busi-ness. So write when and what you are able!