Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Light from the Bruderhof

I do bless the Bruderhof, whose small nugget of wisdom is often the very thing I need when I open my emails first thing each day. This morning's Daily Dig was just right for my current situation...

Only Then...Hasidic

A rabbi asked his students, "When is it at dawn that one
can tell the light from the darkness?"

One student replied, "When I can tell a goat from a donkey?"

"No," answered the rabbi.

Another said, "When I can tell a palm tree from a fig?"

"No," answered the rabbi again.

"Well, then what is the answer?" his students pressed him.

"Only when you look into the face of every man and every woman
and see your brother and your sister," said the rabbi.
Only then have you seen the light. All else is still darkness."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that one, Kathryn - excellent stuff :-)

pax et bonum