Friday, November 18, 2005

Wise and cheerful boldness revisited

Barely had I posted earlier, than I opened the days mailing from ekklesia to read this.

"The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams,
has challenged the acrimony of arguments within the
Church of England and the Anglican Communion over
sexuality and women bishops, proposing a bold new
initiative to get the warring factions to listen to each
other with respect.
The Archbishop wants those who disagree on these
issues to make a personal commitment to contacting
someone of differing opinion elsewhere in the
Communion, in order to promote real conversation
and understanding"

Full story here
but in the face of so much abuse and vindictive comments from all sides, this strikes me as a very fine example of wise and cheerful boldness, and reminds me of why I was so delighted for the Anglican Communion when ++Rowan became Archbishop.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely - ++Rowan is a wise man, and one who really seems to try to remember he has a church of people, not just ideas. I really hope this initiative works!