Tuesday, August 02, 2005

The Cheltenham (non military) Tattoo?

I've been dithering and deliberating about the need for a tattoo ever since last summer, when it seemed quite a good way of marking my diaconal ordination,- and, helpfully, a tattoo artist was scheduled to go to Greenbelt.
Sadly s/he was finally decided to be a health and safety risk too far, so the Festival passed without any further action, and then real life took over and I somehow never got round to it, though I do have a semi deal with One Pedestrian that if I will then she will, so will I...This summer, after the wonders of priesting, the question has arisen again. My poor husband is more than a little bemused by the whole thing (to put it bluntly, he thinks I'm mad)...and I was slightly deterred myself when Simon Parke, a writer whom I usually applaud loudly in the Church Times (there has to be something to applaud there, apart from Dave Walker's cartoons) wrote an article disparaging the need to preserve a moment in this way.
But still the urge lingers, and I'm not totally sure why. Sue writes beautifully about the thinking behind her tattoo, but my motives are nothing like as clearcut. I'd have a very small celtic cross on my heel, I think...nothing strikingly original, but a simple reminder of an important stage on this journey from, to and with God.
Since I'm totally incapable of making almost any decision without lots of advice,- ("So that she can have something to ignore", says husband between gritted teeth) I'd be glad to hear what anyone else thinks.

14 comments:

Jules said...

I have tossed around the idea of a very small tattoo. But it would have to be in a place where it wouldn't get too distorted as I ahem, grow older gracefully.

Unknown said...

I think I've admonished my kids against tattoos too many times to be able to get away with it myself. (By the way, my husband grits his teeth just that way.)

Anonymous said...

for me it's enough that I'm tattooed on the palm of His hand.

:)

bridgett said...

Practically speaking, tattooing anything on one's feet is a bad idea. Think about the very long recovery period, the limping, the necessity of being waited upon by one's spouse (who thinks you're mad), the lack of privacy when the congregation inquires why their priest is using a cane at services. Of course, the last person I knew who tattooed something on his feet got a wicked infection and nearly lost a leg, but since you aren't making a living as a tuba player in a marching band, this would be less likely an outcome for you....

I guess I'm just a worrier.

Dr Moose said...

Having no knowledge of tattoos I couldn't possibly comment.... but I just have.
:-)

mibi52/ The Rev. Dr. Mary Brennan Thorpe said...

My eldest stepson has a small copyright symbol (that little "c" with the circle around it and his year of birth, 1973.

Looks adorable on him, even as his hair thins out on top and his waist expands.

All I can think of is the force of gravity, which has already taken its toll, and what a droppy tattoo might look like. Of course, having on the heel would mean it wouldn't droop, but it might really hurt for a while.

Do you think we could get a bunch of the temporary stick-on tattoos made up for when we're feeling the need for Celtic body decoration?

(Just call me chicken)

mibi52/ The Rev. Dr. Mary Brennan Thorpe said...

BTW, what's the read over there to the maybe-true, maybe-not story about +Abp Akinola saying that the C of E should withdraw from the Anglican Communion? We Americans don't know much about David Virtue, which is where I guess the story first broke, but from some comments from British posters, he may be deemed less than reliable.

As my Minnesaota sister in law would say, Uff da!

Kathryn said...

OK...I kind of get the impression that the concensus is against any permanent marks.
But Lorna, the problem is that I need to have him tattoed on mine...I know he remembers me,- it's the other part of the equation that sometimes suffers. Ah well...does anyone know a good henna artist??

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

how wierd, i share your ambition and my wife thinks i'm mad. maybe its part of the mental imbalance that is required in anyone crazy enough to want to be ordained?
being a man though, the main obstacle for me is the thought of pain - any pain however small, accompanied by the knowledge that i'd get no sympathy at all!

Caroline said...

oh go on K, don't let's listen to them, we know we want to....

Anonymous said...

point taken Kathryn. I retire gracefully from this discussion!!

be blessed whatever you decide to do and serve Him with love and joy and a spring in your step :)

Theresa Coleman said...

I tease the loving husband I am going to have the methodist cross and flame over my heart (sigh).