Friday, February 09, 2007

Is this evasion or avoidance?

There are far too many things going on in my life that I'm anxious not to confront right now,- chief among them, of course, being the perennial problem of a sermon for Evensong on Sunday.
I really do struggle with this....the lectionary is often harsh to "Second Service" preachers, and even when the readings are good, I'm often defeated by the dynamics of preaching to a handful of people scattered across the church, while a far larger contingent sits behind me in the choir. This Sunday, actually, the readings are quite attractive if I can only apply myself to them,- but that feels like quite a substantial "if only" at this moment.

So, for the first time for ages I'm going to indulge in the Revgals Friday Five...something very close to bloggers' junk-food, quick and undemanding, which I've resisted successfully so far this year.
Not today, though.
Anything rather than concentrate on the job in hand!
For a once-upon-a-time semi-pro singer, a chance to revisit old dreams was really fun...but there's no obligation on anyone to read the results.

1) If I could sing like anyone, it would be lovely, lovely Emma Kirkby. Once upon a time in Cambridge, I got the chance to sub for her at the final rehearsal before we premiered a new edition of the Mozart Requiem...I love her absolute purity of tone - and she sings the sort of music I love most, and which my own voice, in its heyday, suited best. She's just heaven!

2) I would love to sing the song Dove sono, or come to that Porgi Amor - with a good orchestra. Well, let's be honest, I'd really enjoy the chance to sing the whole of the Contessa role from Marriage of Figaro. It's not going to happen,-and it would not be a musically pleasing event if it did, these days. However, dreams are free!
irl, the stuff I like, I sing all the time,- with more or less success. Public performances are a very different matter.


3) It would be really cool to sing at one of the lovely Wren churches in London. I'm specially fond of St James's Piccadilly, - where I depped as a chorister once or twice in my youth. I was also working just along the road, at Hatchards bookshop at the time, so St James's felt like my weekday parish church...There was a lovely early Eucharist that I could catch before work,- and I think it was then that I began to revolve my life around that particular sacramental pole. Definitely a Good Place (and I've just discovered, while Googling it for this post, that a friend's partner is on the staff there - lucky man!)



4) If I could sing a dream duet it would be with Ian Bostridge. Though I'm not sure I'd be able to make any sound at all, were he in the vicinity.

5) If I could sing on a TV or radio show, it would be...I honestly don't know the answer to this. There isn't an obvious show-case for the sort of singing I'd be likely to be doing...Perhaps I'll settle for one day precenting somewhere whose choir broadcasts on R3's Choral Evensong - assuming that this actually survives.

OK...having indulged in this cheerfully pointless activity, it's back to Genesis 1 and an ecology sermon. Unless, of course, I paint the dog's toe-nails...or rearrange the sock drawer...or...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was following that really well and thinking of interesting things to say until I got to Ian Bostridge ... Then my brain just went

"yay!mmmmmmmmmsghhffjsahfsda *drool*"

... and I had to go and find a CD.

Kathryn said...

You know, Serena, it would be really interesting to have you play this meme. You don't have to be a RevGal...you are definitely a blog pal...and there is the added interest of the fact that you are actually a singer! Go on...you're obviously in evasion mode too!

Sally said...

excellent play Kathyrn- I love this.

Unknown said...

I love your highbrow choices, Kathryn!

Cal said...

Hmm, re sermon, if you still don't have anything ready you could nick a trick from Ikon and stand in silence in the pulpit for five minutes and then hold up a card saying 'women must not speak in church' (or whatever the actual quotation is, far to late to look it up!)

I've always thought that would make quite a powerful sermon. Sometimes less is more!

Anonymous said...

Hey, what's happened to blogger? It used to automatically post my comments as Cal with a link to my blogsite, but suddenly it's using my real name?! Doesn't matter here, but what's going on?

Sorted it out now, but had to do it by hand. Anwyay, that was me before.