Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Thoughts on icons

In her comment the post below, Mary asked what John might be holding. I've hunted online for readings of this icon, but can't actually find it at all (the picture I posted was a photo of the card I borrowed for prayer). Maybe there should be a prize for the most original suggestion as to what that black thing is, though it would be hard to better Mary's suggestion of a bag of vipers. You never know when those might come in handy to support a bit of proclamation in the wilderness.

What I found interesting, though, was the fact that I simply didn't take in that bag (?) at all when using the icon. I was aware of something black and possibly folded, of course, but simply passed over it, thinking, if I saw it at all, that it was just part of John's garment.
Instead, I saw what I needed to see, which appeared to be an outstretched hand, not grasping anything...letting it all go.
I hadn't thought my time with the icon that fruitful when I first reviewed it, but in the week since it has thrown up all sorts of riches. They really are powerful things - I should try to use them more often.

1 comment:

Dr Moose said...

Looks like the Holy Laptop of Laodicea if you ask me...