Saturday, November 08, 2008

Here I stand

Early next year, I'm taking my two PCCs on an "away day" to consider what our churches are for, what it is that God requires of us as we seek to serve him in these wildly different communities.
I'm really looking forward to spending some time with them going "back to basics" and will hope to extend the discussions in our Lent course when the time comes.
Today, though, I've just opened my daily Henri Nouwen meditation to read these words...Hard to beat, I'd say...

How does the Church witness to Christ in the world? First and foremost by giving visibility to Jesus' love for the poor and the weak. In a world so hungry for healing, forgiveness, reconciliation, and most of all unconditional love, the Church must alleviate that hunger through its ministry. Wherever we feed the hungry, clothe the naked, visit the lonely, listen to those who are rejected, and bring unity and peace to those who are divided, we proclaim the living Christ, whether we speak about him or not.

It is important that whatever we do and wherever we go, we remain in the Name of Jesus, who sent us. Outside his Name our ministry will lose its divine energy

Isn't that wonderful? A mission statement to follow to the ends of the earth.

3 comments:

Jonathan Hunt said...

Kathryn,

Preaching on Galatians 2 recently I commented on Paul's desire to 'remember the poor'.

I spoke about poverty in our cheltenham context and commented that there isn't the kind of starvation misery that abounded in those days. While we still can help (locally) with clothing, food, etc - don't we have to be awake to 21st century poverty as well?

My contention was that there is a great 'new' poverty in our society that the church can minister to, the poverty of loneliness, especially among the elderly. What do you think?

Cal said...

Oh that is good.

God_Guurrlll said...

Kathryn,

Thank you for including the Henri Nouwen quote in your blog. There's a bit of push back in my church about our outreach ministry. Now that things have gotten tough in our economy and the need has increased substantially my parish is suggesting that we pull back on our outreach because it is "too overwhelming" and "charity begins at home." The quote by Nouwen encourages me to press on in my ministry.

Much love,