Tuesday, February 24, 2009

"You're never alone with an iPhone"

So said L during our recent & most excellent girly w'end.She was enthralling & delighting we owners of lesser phones at the time & I could see all sorts of enticing reasons why I might want to upgrade then and there (though given my current modest tarrif it would be not so much an upgrade, more a revolution....). For a wee while all of us sitting at supper poured over the screen - then we realised we had real live company there in one another, the phone went away and our evening continued.

A few days later I read a post (thanks to the meds, I now have no notion where...please say if you recognise it) commenting on the way our mobile phones can now protect us from that uncomfortable experience, being alone in a crowd, but may also discourage us from even trying to engage when we are in new or challenging situations. That gave me pause, as one who has used her phone to cover an exposed or awkward moment more than once...but what really startled me, as they moved my trolley from pillar to post in A&E, was the feeling of sheer joy when a sign informed me
"you may use your mobile phone here - but please respect the privacy of others".

Suddenly I could reach byond my cubicle, could tweet my situation to friends far and wide...and goodness, it helped. I can't imagine that anyone is that fussed by the trivial details of my convalescence but it seems to matter a good deal to me that when the meds wear off at 3 in the morning I can whinge about this to my patient friends in another time-zone. On reflection, I'd guess my family are pretty glad I'm not waking them with a childish wail
"I can't sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeep..." and however I know you, I'm so very grateful for your companionship on this unexpected Lenten journey.

No comments: