Saturday, May 14, 2005

A rash undertaking

I saw the Bishop yesterday for my pre-priesting interview. Since the last major conversation I'd had with him (before my first selection conference, back in the mists of time) had been so gruelling that I'd needed to lie down for the rest of the day, I approached this with a fair degree of trepidation. In fact, the whole experience was entirely benign. My vicar, bless him, had written a very smiley report and since +John is interested in "fresh expressions" he was keen on my continuing to dabble gently and happy to talk about the stuff that excites me. All good, then.
But we did talk a bit about my ENFP lack of focus...the seventeen books on the go at any one time...the piles of half finished projects (I once did the Belbin test, and my score as a "completer/finisher" was a large negative number) and the way this can add to sense of panic that I'm achieving nothing. We agreed that it might be a good discipline to try and write something about each book I finish, and that this 'ere blog was probably the best place for it. So, since I've promised + John, I guess I'd better try. I just hope it doesn't make both reading and blogging feel like joyless, dutiful exercises...Watch this space. I can guarantee not to make this solely a book review blog, though, that's for sure.
Oh, and if anyone wanted to know, I got the distinct impression that he's happy for me to be priested :-) :-)

3 comments:

Tony said...

Nice one, Kathryn! So now, instead of feeling guilty about time spent blogging, you can say in truth and with a perfectly clear conscience: I am doing this under obedience to my Father in God. I don't know how you managed to pull this off, but I should think lots of fellow clergy might be glad to hear how...

(Does +John read it by the way? Better be careful what you say. - So instead of guilt you get paranoia. Wow, what a trade-off. Better stop thinking aloud, Price.)

Anonymous said...

Heh. I'm an ENFP, too. Seventeen books at the same time would be modest for me. By the way, what on earth does "complete" mean in the context of "complete a project", for example? This is a new concept to me. "Procrastination" and "do whatever the hell you're inspired to do at any given moment" -- now those are concepts more readily accessible to my brain.

Caroline said...

blimey, just want to point out that I don't do sensible intelligent comments on K's blog. That wasn't me. Unless the opiates are even more powerful than i'd imagined....