Saturday, January 28, 2006

Because somebody asked...

Right.
It’s Saturday, and I am practising my evasive tactics to ensure that I have at least one major panic over entries for Ordinary Time. In the spirit of true procrastination, I therefore offer my response to another Friday Five. Since it’s book based, it proved irresistible, - especially given the length of my “to do” list. You see, I'm even procrastinating with my procrastination. This post was due yesterday!

If you received books as holiday presents, how many and what were they? Did you buy any for yourself, and if so what are the titles?
I did really well this year…indeed, I’m not sure I can list all the books I was given. In my stocking I received “The Secret Life of Bees” (which was finished before the end of Holy Innocents’ day), while under the tree was a great heap of theology, most of which I’ve not touched yet, but including David Edwards “Poets and God”, Rowan Williams “Christian Imagination in Poetry and Polity” N.T. Wright “Paul: fresh perspectives” and the rather daunting “Gays and the future of Anglicanism”. There were one or two others, which I fear I’ve lost track of for the moment, and, as a real treat, the new P.D. James (in HARDBACK….such luxury). Sadly, nobody gave me any book tokens, so I've not indulged yet this year, beyond a bargain quartet from a charity shop a couple of weeks ago; who could resist 4 books for £1?

Have you read any of them yet?
All the fiction…none of the theology. Though I’ve done some dipping into Williams and Edwards. Saving Paul for Lent, maybe…

What’s next on your list?
A pile of books on Venice…2 thrillers by Dona Leon, a huge and impressive history by John Julius Norwich and a return visit to the slimmer volume Venice by Jan (or was she then James?) Morris.
For why? Only a week till DarlingDaughter and I set forth on a 4 day city break, which we’ve been plotting for the best part of 3 years. Streets full of water. Please advise!

Do you have a favorite place to read a new book? And does the weather have an impact on that choice?
The rather ugly little chair (seen below, enhanced by Teddy the pirate) beside fake woodburning stove (Curate’s consolation prize for finding herself in the first house ever with no real fire)…or bed. Weather immaterial. I never seem to be given new books in the summer, so don’t have a favourite fair- weather reading spot at all, though I seem to spend a good few hours sitting on a bale of straw at the yard where the ponies live, reading in the sun while LoudBoy indulges in assorted equine activities.

Does reading in bed make you sleepy?
Ridiculously so. It matters not what the time is, if I go upstairs to read in bed that’s it. I might just manage to put the book down before dropping off, but there’s no real guarantee of that. I do have more success reading in bed in the mornings, though, while waiting for my turn in the bathroom…that’s quality time!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

“Gays and the future of Anglicanism” for CHRISTMAS! Yikes that's possibly worse than the books Amazon suggested I "treat" myself with!

I have it on very good authority - my own darling daughter who went there on a 6th Form trip and my wonderful mother who won a bus tour there about 6 months later, that Venice is a MUST in anyone's life.

Kathryn said...

It's OK...the person who gave me that also produced the PD James (which I really WILL lend to you asap) and the Rowan Williams, so I'll forgive her anything. And I don't have to read it at one sitting, do I?!

see-through faith said...

loved this Kathryn. Hope the procrastinating helped :)