Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Anything to oblige

For the benefit of those readers who wanted to see an ember card, here's the one from my priesting this summer...it's a postcard, so what you're seeing isn't exactly like the real thing, and some text clearly got lost when I scanned it, but you get the general idea. The design is based on one my daughter saw on somebody's stole at a diocesan hooley once, and then brought home with her, and I love it.
It feels very strange to be posting the card 4 months after the event...I feel so very much as if I've been a priest all my life, though every now and then the fact that I'm entrusted with such Huge realities still stops me in my tracks.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

How beautiful! I would love to have that design on a stole. I wish I were a clever seamstress-y person. If you could knit a stole, I'd be all set.

Dr Moose said...

Two random thoughts.

It's interesting how our "churchmanship" (is there a non-gender-specific term?) colours our responses. My deaconing was the big event for me. My priesting was a technicality, as much because it's nearly impossible to be a Full-time Stipendiary Deacon in the CofE...

And, my GLW has a long-term intention to make some stoles out of toweling, all the better to pick up on the servant imagery from the Last Supper.

Kathryn said...

Yes dr moose....couldn't agree more. I was fascinated, having been on ordination retreat with Finker (whom I believe you read?) that the impact of his deaconing wasn't huge...whereas for me the earth definitely shifted on its axis at both of my ordinations, but more so this year...and as for my first Eucharist. Well, I blogged it madly, I know...but it was truly the most amazing and awesome reality ever...and it goes on being. At the diocesan conference I was talking to another Deacon from your end of the candle, who said, interestingly, that, having been part of the congregation for our priesting, he could tell that something huge was happening for me....but didn't imagine that it would be that way for him in a year's time. I love the way God tailors our experience of Him to our needs/expectations....actually, I'm kind of keen on God, full stop ;-)