Saturday, December 31, 2005

New Year's Eve five...

with thanks to Songbird

1)Do you make New Year's Resolutions?
I’m a great maker of resolutions, at the drop of a hat…at New Year, Lent, Advent, after seeing my Spiritual Director…almost any opportunity to take stock and reform. The fact that they appear in my life with such frequency may suggest the answer to question 2

2) If so, are they generally successful?
Almost never…though acknowledging the areas that I would like to change is often helpful in itself.
I have at least learned over the years that there is slightly more chance of keeping resolutions if they are counted in single figures, but still tend to veer towards wildly optimistic ambitions.
Lose 2 stone. Keep my accounts up to date. Give the dogs a decent walk, morning and evening, every day of the year. Tidy the study....
Just who are you trying to kid, Kathryn?

3) Do you write them down, or make a mental list?
Mental list. I’m far too chaotic to actually commit anything to paper, though maybe the blog will have the same effect??? Or is that yet another triumph of hope over experience?

4) Even if you don't make resolutions, is there something you want to focus on in the New Year?
I hope to be more disciplined in my use of the internet. Far too easy to drift from emails to blogs and before I know it, the whole morning has passed and the study I had planned has never even started. If only there weren’t so many useful online resources, the answer, clearly, would be to leave the computer turned off. Any helpful hints or tips hugely welcome.
Oh, and there's something about weight loss, the dogs, the state of the study/ my accounts......

5) And do you have plans for New Year's Eve?
All 3 offspring are out and about partying (DD departed for a weekend in Yorkshire yesterday evening) so we hope for a civilised evening, a good film and maybe a sea-food supper. The Dr Who scarf is coming on apace, so I may manage to stay awake till midnight in its honour, but won’t be too mortified if sleep overtakes me. One of my best New Year’s ever was when TeenWonder was just 5 weeks old, and sleep at a premium. I went to bed blissfully early, to be woken at midnight by a gently snuffling baby, ready for a feed, and a husband bearing a glass of champagne. That’s the life!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My new years resolution is to try and live out the following saying:

“Brilliant people talk about ideas. Average people talk about things. Small people talk about other people.”

Happy New Year :-)

Anonymous said...

Hello Rev Kathryn - your blog came up on Google when I was looking for the words to Wind Through the Olive Trees, a carol I learned as a small boy when our family was living in California.

I've sung for years in church chooirs - a traditional English choir in Toronto when I was a boy soprano, more recently in our Unitarian church in Ottawa, but this carol is unknown. And the infallible Internet will let me listen to it but not to get the words.

Can you or any of your readers help? Thanks - and we very much enjoyed your blog