Friday, January 16, 2009

Heaven on earth


for people like me is very probably Hay on Wye. Even the sign-posts announce it as "The Town of Books" and to be somewhere where every other shop is a second-hand bookshop (and those in between sell mostly Fairly Traded or vintage clothes) is so close to my idea of perfect bliss that it's just a little alarming. Hay is clearly the place where good books go to die - the concept of a 30p "honesty bookshop" is so delightful that just remembering it makes me want to dance in the same way as Hattie Gandhi did this morning...Since my best beloved daughter struggles with (or maybe she doesn't struggle, but surrenders gracefully to) the same slightly scary book addiction as her mother, this border town was the perfect place for a birthday outing...and we had SO much fun.
Wonderful drive through the Brecon Beacons...
Yummy lunch (featuring goats cheese, tapenade and roasted peppers...)...and lots and lots and
lots of time in truly heavenly bookshops, from the frankly criminal "Murder and Mayhem" to the optimistic "Sensible Bookshop" with all sorts of other delights in between. There is even a fudge shop, to comfort you as you depart the town.
For the record, leaving aside the free books that we also brought home, our combined shopping total was a paltry 19 titles. Clearly we weren't trying and need to return to do the job a bit more thoroughly before we are too much older.


Earth hath not anything to show more fair - or so, at least, say both of us!

7 comments:

Jonathan Hunt said...

I know what I want for my birthday. How long will it take to drive from Cheltenham, Kathryn?

Kathryn said...

Well, we went via Cardiff, which isn't alot of help....I would guess not more than an hour and a bit from Cheltenham (now that the Highnam/Over stretch of the A40 is sorted once again). Worth it, no matter HOW long ...

Jules said...

What a lovely, lovely day. I can't wait until the WonderGirl wants have a day like that with me...

Disillusioned said...

I'm envious - I love Hay on Wye and it is much too long since I went there (and much to far to drive for a day out, sadly...)

Fiona Marcella said...

If Birmingham library (a favourite with the Wrock crowd) doesn't work out then we clearly only have one choice as to where we're heading in a couple of weeks - Hay here we come.
Incidentally my word verification is "hyshines" - only missing an "a" as the second letter

Caroline Too said...

... Hay... heaven on earth.. but you missed out on two of the great treats in the craft centre near the car park

wonderful, wonderful cake shop

and my favourite, quite my favourite earring shop... but don't tell anyone otherwise I'll lose by ability to have the most interesting earrings...

Tony said...

Oh yes! I blogged about my latest triumph at Hay here.