Saturday, January 17, 2009

Let there be light

For the past couple of weeks, both of my churches have boasted scaffolding towers and a steady stream of workmen coming and going. Church on the Hill, of course, is continuing its roof repairs, while down in the valley we have been having our lighting system renewed. The plans for this were devised way before my arrival, and I have to admit that I was deeply unexcited by what I imagined would be a substantial outgoing for a minimal result.

Allow me to indulge in a little light word-eating then (with only a small apology for the unintended pun there).
When I went down to church for Evening Prayer this afternoon, my colleague turned on the lights and the impact was stunning. The whole building has sprung to life in a way that I had never imagined. Far from showing up dusty corners, the new lights somehow make the whole of the sanctuary look fresh and lovely.
And, to my enormous pleasure and satisfaction, we now have an aumbrey light that is actually visible...so when people enter the Lady Chapel it is instantly and unmistakeably clear that we have the Sacrament reserved.
It probably doesn't sound like a major event, but I hope that it represents something significant, a greater degree of confidence in being who we are as church here, and it makes me smile and smile.

3 comments:

Mary Beth said...

It sounds most significant. Blessings flow!!

Anonymous said...

AUMBREY

YOU UNMITIGATED BASTARD

Kathryn said...

:-)
(Cackles wildly and runs off)