Friday, June 09, 2006

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised....

but the thing that delighted me most in the wake of the MU day was 2 phonecalls from attendees...one of whom, in my own congregation, wanted to share a dream that has been building for her over some months to create a social network for those alone again in their later years...She had spoken to me during the quiet on Wednesday, but had been rather overwhelmed by her feelings at the time, and not able to work out quite what was going on. Now she sounds quite different. Excited. Purposeful. Interested in life, in a way that she hasn't been for a year or two, I'd say....
The other lady was from the congregation that has just lost its vicar. She wanted to tell me that she hadn't known what she could do to make anything better, and had been told very firmly in the course of the day that her calling was to pray.
"I was so relieved" she said "It's been all I've wanted to do all through this...."
Both were of the generation that takes some persuading that answering God's call doesn't automatcially mean heading out to the mission fields of somewhere unpronounceable...but they clearly got the message on Wednesday. I am so thankful.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It really helps to get the feedback, doesn't it?