Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Words strain, crack and sometimes break...

Well, it might be about shamrocks, or water/ice/steam, or even a Russian wedding ring….but maybe not!
This year I was spared preparing a full sermon for Trinity Sunday (I’m currently avoiding writing one for Corpus Christi, but that's quite another matter)…but I did have to do a “word” for the 8.00 congregation, and as it turned out it was also my turn to lead worship at the Home for the Utterly Confused, so there wasn’t much escape.
Mulling time was short, so I was glad of John Wesley
“Tell me how it is that in this room there are three candles and but one light, and I will explain to you the mode of the divine existence”
and of the thoughts of another commentator who pointed out that the Trinity is a mystery to be treasured, in the same way that being in love is a mystery, but we tend to treat it as a puzzle to be solved, like the Times Crossword.
Most of all I was, and am, glad that the doctrine of the Trinity expresses the fact that God exists in relationship, and that we are invited into that relationship too…to sit at the fourth side of the table in Rublev’s icon.

No comments: