Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Transition time again

What we are to become is both task and gift – Marilyn McCord Adams

The fundamental moral question, therefore, is not “What ought we to do?” but “What kind of persons are we called to become?”
(Life in Christ: Morals, Communion and the Church)


So I’m here in transition.
I’ve been in transition as a mother, and found it hard and uncongenial….but up to a point at least some of the intitiative still lay with me.
Now I’m in transition again, waiting to be born in a new place with a new role…but this time I’m the baby….I know and value the safety of my current environment, its familiar warm darkness, its reliable nurture.
But I’m being slowly squeezed, whatever I may feel, along a passage that is leading to a new reality outside my knowledge.
Staying put seems so comfortable and attractive, but it’s simply not an option that is open to me. The unborn child cannot stay put – she will die if she lingers too long, because the very environment that has nurtured her so far will gradually begin to starve and stifle.
So she has to submit to the wave upon wave that engulfs her and pushes her onwards to something she can’t yet imagine.
The waiting and the journey are both hard work – but to be born is to come one step closer to knowing oneself as an independent being….

2 comments:

Unknown said...

(((K)))

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathryn, I've been reading your blog for a while, and thought I'd comment for once! I'm also going through a time of transition like yours. I'm not a curate, but a youth minister. It's hard not knowing where I'll be in a year's time. At the moment I'm struggling to live in the present and be comfortable with that. My thoughts and prayers are with you.