Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Whatever happened to the...

Reading Challenge?

Well, - clearly I’m incapable of posting weekly on the theme but equally clearly, it’s not that I’ve refrained from reading throughout January. Here’s an approximate list

Worthwhile
City of Djinns – William Dalrymple :the story of his year in Delhi, and a wonderful interweaving of history and present reality which evokes India in a way this addict found entirely heart warming

Pilgrim at Tinker Creek – Annie Dillard : I would never have discovered Dillard were it not for my US friends and I’m so glad that I did. Oh to see with those eyes – the precious minutae entered into with such excitement

The Vicar’s Guide
–ed David Ison : does what it says on the tin…I’ve borrowed this from WonderfulVicar but suspect I will need to keep a copy to hand (though it omits any mention of how to please all of the people, all of the time. What do you mean, that’s not in the job description?)

Amiable Trash - treat with caution (so I've not given you links)
The Jane Austen Book Club - Karen Joy Fowler (light and fun)

Digging to America - Anne Tyler (read in under an hour...which gives you an idea of the substance!)

The Damascened Blade - Barbara Cleverly (Indian Raj whodunnit - I did enjoy this one)

The Vendetta - Jenny Pitman (cheerful tripe in the vein of Dick Francis but without his skill in characterisation)

As lists go, that’s pretty pathetic, really.
I think I must be spending too long online when I could curl up on a real sofa with a cat and read. Iceland ought to have been good for book consumption, but the contrast between bitter cold outside and cosy room meant that whenever we got in each evening, Hugger Steward and I fell asleep almost immediately…thus confirming my belief that we are really designed to hibernate all winter.

I try to limit my fiction during Lent, so maybe February will look a bit healthier.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm finding reading and knitting are in a cutthroat competition for my free time, and knitting is winning this past week.

Cal said...

Oh I loved City of Djinns as well. I read it whilst in India which gave it an extra dimension.