Thursday, March 23, 2006

Another poem for Joseph

Serena wanted to know the origin of “The Handyman of the Lord”…which I quite agree is a wonderful phrase, with such a ring of truth to it.
I have a lovely anthology “The Christmas Road”, which was a gift from my former vicar…and in it appears this gem, the creation of a four year old who was singing to her doll. Hugely unseasonal, but if I wait till a more appropriate time of year, I’ll forget all about it. So, please just suspend your chronological faculties for the moment.

When the baby borned
Joseph said to Mary
“What am I going to do about
This little-born Jesus baby Christ?
I never knew it was going to be like this
With all these angles and kings
And shepherds and stars and things.
It’s got me worried, I can tell you
On Christmas day in the morning.”

Mary said to Joseph
“Not to worry, my darling
Dear old darling Joseph,
Everything’s going to be all right
Because the angel told me not to fear;
So just hold up the lamp
So I can see the dear, funny, sweet, little face
Of my darling little-born Jesus baby Christ.”

Joseph said to Mary
“Behold the handyman of the Lord”

Happy Christmas, Happy Christmas,
Christ is born today.

I wonder what happened to that child. I wish I could write like that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oooh, thank you for enlightening me! That's a seriously good poem. I am in awe of that kid!