Saturday, July 15, 2006

The Friday Five, or Beware low-flying poltergeists

It being Saturday and not Friday at all, I should probably refrain from joining in this jolly game, but such is my enthusiasm for Romans 15 (on which I'm preaching tomorrow evening) I simply have to find some diversions. So, in an appropriately grumpy spirit I present my very own Pet Peeves (or a selection thereof)

1.Grammatical pet peeve I'm pretty nasty about an awful lot of grammar, I fear. BBC English is no longer what it was, so examples of tooth-grinding horror are legion, but for today I nominate the confusion of "may" with "might" as in "If X had not gone for that walk, he may have been dead". Grrr. Hate it!

2. Household pet peeve
. As one who is dangerously inclined towards slum-living I'm not really in a position to say too much here,- motes and beams, you know! I do hate it when the family put stuff in the dustbin that could happily be recycled (I have to fish it out), - and that at least is something I tend to get right.

3. Arts & Entertainment pet peeve (movie theaters, restaurants, concerts)

The ladies behind me who pass their bag of wrapped sweets back and forth throughout the performance, rustling as they go. Usually, I'd be pastorally sensitive and enthralled with that account of daughter Sharon's holiday on Kos, but I actually wanted to see the film today. It's my day off, OK!

4. Liturgical pet peeve. Over-fussy activity by becotta'd servers during the Eucharist. Or perhaps the groans and mutters of agreement that occurr during informal prayers in some contexts.

5. Wild card--pet peeve that doesn't fit any of the above categories.
The way a Driver I Know is always convinced that the other motorists are only there to annoy, and make errors absolutely on purpose, and keeps up a commentary to that effect. Imbeciles, the lot of them!

Bonus: Because all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God: What do YOU do that others might consider a pet peeve?

Oooh...where to start? LongsufferingClockmaker hates it when I complete his sentences for him (specially if he wasn't actually going where I was quite sure he was). The PCC hate it when I forget that there is a committee structure for most things, and subvert them by doing things myself. Lots of people find my last-minute-ness drives them mad. And I talk too much. Always.
Off to change into my hair shirt now. And write that sermon, perhaps?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I admit it. I don't know what becotta'd means...enlighten? And I'm impressed with your recycling.

Sue said...

Great list Kathryn! If ppb had not asked about the cotta, I "may" have -- kidding! :)

Caroline said...

okay i admit it. i don't know the difference.
shame on me.