Sunday, July 16, 2006

Thwarted at every turn

Despite myself, I've just had to abandon the Evening Grump.
I'd been planning a sad little post to tell you all about how much I'm not enjoying the current rehearsal for When the Children Finally Leave (they are currently either living it up in the Big City or tootling cheerfully away on the school's annual music residential, in a wonderful Quaker boarding school (which their common or garden comprehensive borrows every year) with lovely staff, swimming pool and time to enjoy it all), how wrong it feels to come home, yell "Hi guys" and find dogs and husband wondering how to answer, how unnerving it is when bread made in the morning is still there when I get in at 6.00, how miserable the poor deserted mother is feeling....
But I can't.
Because I've just had a lovely evening with my very favourite youth group, cheering indiscriminately for them and for the parish opposition in the end of term rounders tournament, eating mini chocolate brownies (c/o Morrisons....excellent value, and they actually taste home made) and being stunned yet again by how very nifty WonderfulVicar is with a rounders bat. The golden evening brightened in the west, the way they do, and we were all very happy and relaxed in each other's company,- and I reflected that a bit of losing my temper with the PCC was a small price to pay for the lovely things that are happening with those kids right now.
No idea who won,- but I love all of them anyway, so that doesn't matter ;-)
Oh, the sermon was pretty dim...didn't so much fly as plummet, but nobody actually walked out, and tomorrow is another day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is it about vicars and rounders? Hope it isn't catching.....

Anonymous said...

I've obviously lived a very sheltered life as I've never seen a vicar play rounders before this one let alone be good at it.

Sorry the sermon didn't seem to go down very well. On paper I thought it was great, and was all set to go to evensong to hear it in person, but fell asleep instead - sorry!

Sally said...

ahhh vicars play rounders- that might just be the answer I had been looking for- I had to produce an essay entitled why be a Methodist... now I know for sure- rounders and I ARE NOT COMPATIBLE!!!

see-through faith said...

laughing at Sally :) and reminiscing I was quite fond of rounders many many years ago. We used to play (for fun) after school ... wonder if it'd catch on in the Methodist church in Finland.

and Amy - supporters are most essential, as are eaters of the provisions. Glad it wasn't cucumber sandwiches though -my experience with those has been that they are soggy limp and not very nice at all. Doughnuts sounds yummy!

Stuart said...

Sorry to hear you felt your sermon plummeted but I do feel slightly reassured that it’s not just me. Oh yes and I'm rubbish at rounders too!