Saturday, December 06, 2008

Advent Simplicity, Light and Beauty - Friday Five

Sally has been pondering the consumerist excesses of the 21st century Christmas, and yearning for something different. Her Friday Five invites us to explore this...
What do you long for this advent? What are your hopes and dreams for the future? What is your prayer today?
In the vein of simplicity I ask you to list five advent longings....

I wondered for a moment - should I go with the totally spiritual, or should I be real! Then I read Stephen Cottrell's Advent book, which reproduced the sad story of the government minister who was asked by a newspaper what he really wanted for Christmas. Not wanting to appear greedy he said that he would love a jar of preserved ginger...Next day the headlines ran
"ABC wants an end to poverty for Christmas. The Dalail Lama wants world peace.
The Pope wants the conversion of the world to Christ - and the Minister for Food & Farming wants a jar of stem ginger!"
Faced with such a big question, one is bound to appear either facile or selfish I fear...still, here goes...

I long

1. For my two churches to understand their mutual dependence and to work together, making the most of their complementary gifts

2. For the Church to become truly catholic - all inclusive - so that anyone who enters our doors may know themselves truly welcome and at home.

3. For time to be...with my family, with my friends, with God...with no agenda but delight in their company

4 For my churches to truly make a difference in these communities, where there are so many needs

5. For people everywhere to recognise that there is enough love to go round...


2 comments:

Auntie Knickers said...

Great story about the ginger (and an answer I could well have given myself, lucky I'm not famous!) and I hope you get all your wishes!

Ivy said...

"Lord in your mercy..." We will join our prayers with your longings and prayers.