Saturday, December 06, 2008

" I am just a po'boy "

Tony the Storyteller isn't a great one for memes, so when he tagged me I thought I might well comply. The brief ran thus, more or less ...

Open the fourth file in your picture storage...and go to the fourth photo. Tell its story...



Well, here we have an advertising hoarding from New Orleans...a photo I took on that magical day that I spent exploring the city all on my own, before my revgal pals arrived for the Big Event back in March this year. If I remember rightly, I spotted it in a side road off Rue St Charles, just before I became so seriously dedicated to photographing amazing wrought iron balconies that the next 50 photos showed nothing else.
I loved this ad for various reasons.
I could not imagine any situation in which the word "Lenten" would find its way onto an advertisement in the UK, and there was something wonderfully incongruous about the idea of Lent as a time of seasonal special offers - not to mention Lenten fayre served at the VooDoo Grill. Cultural confusion, anyone?
The fact that it was shrimps, shrimps or shrimps is the only clue that Lent might be a fast...we are seriously into fish here, ladies and gentlemen. Definitely no red meat.
Incidentally, I had a popcorn shrimp po' boy that very evening....(popcorn refers to the size, not a side dish..What the US describes as shrimps are quite definitely prawns in my book, but the popcorn variety are closer to the traditional shrimp size!) - and it was very tasty! That meal was in the most extraordinary place, which those revgals who were there will doubtless remember with varying degrees of fondness. All I can say is that visiting The Red Eye confirmed my sense of the surreal, which the whole business of leaving my curacy and running away to the States had already suggested.
That Wednesday in New Orleans was definitely memorable!

Oooh...I'm allowed to tag four people
Let's see...Paul's photos bear alot of consideration, so I hope he might play
Sally, because she's not blogging enough - and takes some amazing shots with her phone
Songbird, because but for her I wouldn't have been in NOLA at all and...... jo (e) because her photos were the best justification for blogging or blog reading that I could find to persuade one sceptic in this household.

3 comments:

The Vicar of Hogsmeade said...

I love this story. You made me laugh

Tony said...

Not so much that I'm not a great one for memes - I'm OK about doing them, but don't usually have enough fellow-bloggers to tag, who haven't already done them.

It's a bit like when I first joined Facebook (a bit of an early adopter, I think, for a 50 something), and for several weeks it kept telling me "You have no friends".

It was like having opened a particularly dark and depressing fortune cookie...

Incidentally, we kept seeing po'boys on the menu when we were in Texas. Did you ever find out what exactly it was?

Anonymous said...

will be glad to reveal the story behind the 4th of the 4th tomorrow....

couldn't believe the shot!!!! had hoped for something more 'cool' - but having never been that, it should make may a grennbelter nearly piss their pants!!!

thanks for your thoughts and prayers....