- I spent some time today with M’s family, putting together a picture of her life and discussing their hopes and ideas for her service, which will take place next Tuesday. They really REALLY didn’t want the church shrouded in Passiontide gloom as they gather to thank God for their mother, so this time-lag seems fine.
- I talked to another special lady, who is living with cancer. She had good news today that the tumour hasn’t grown of late…a small resurrection to carry her along for a while.
- TeenWonder performed a temporary rescue for a dear friend’s daughter, a close contemporary of my own DarlingDaughter, who is having a really rough time, without much help from the National Health Service, where “joined up thinking” seems an impossible dream.
- 2 dozen of us followed Stations of the Cross, using the wonderful material produced by the Benedictines of Turvey Abbey, and I found myself totally involved in the process, so that this revisiting of so much that is familiar seemed fresh, new, and more real than anything else today.
- Until, that is, the service ended, and I met F and realised that non-joined-up thinking had reached new levels of dislocation, and action was now being taken where it was neither wanted, needed, nor helpful.
So many crosses.
Tonight, I really want to be Simon of Cyrene...but I don't have the strength on my own.
Almighty God, whose most dear Son went not up to joy but first he suffered pain, and entered not into glory before he was crucified: Mercifully grant that we, walking in the way of the cross, may find it none other than the way of life and peace; through Jesus Christ your Son our Lord.