Sunday, May 21, 2006

Who am I?

I'm certainly not feeling very Kathryn-like at the moment (though in a good, if startled, way).
Gardening leave began with a shopping expedition to look at possible Curate cars, which would also accommodate 6' son plus 2 other passengers in the back, and leave room for dogs and LCM too. My initial idea proved unworkable within one second of TeenWonder getting into the car concerned. Even I could see that spending every journey with his head at a 45 degree angle to his body was unlikely to be of long-term benefit to the boy...but I did have a vision of a cuddly, friendly-looking car that would remind me of my 2CVs while somehow conveying the whole GoodinParts family in comfort. We found 2 possibilities, - but once we'd done the sums and investigated the assorted loans available, 1 emerged as a clear winner. It's slightly bigger than I'd envisaged, but really really easy to drive and has all sorts of wonderful free tax, free servicing, free RAC,free petrol (well, sadly not that one) type deals...and an interest free loan too.
The bad news is that little Matiz seems to be worth half nothing,- so we're wondering whether DarlingDaughter and TeenWonder might appreciate our hanging onto it for their use...but 3 cars for 5 people seems ridiculous, specially now we are no longer in the wilds of nowhere. Hmmmmmm.
Anyway, new car will arrive on the Wednesday of half-term, which is rather fun,- though the inevitable tidal-wave of guilt about owning a car at all is in the throes of engulfing me (so I must be reverting to type after all).

Having signed scary car-buying contract, I then drove down to Bristol to play with C...
More uncharacteristic activity included watching my first-ever Eurovision Song Contest,- getting very excited when a totally bizarre group of monsters (reputedly Klingons) from Finland won with a song called Hard Rock Hallelujah. Still wondering how to work them into a sermon...
In contrast, Big Brother left me utterly cold. No entertainment value whatsoever, and not much of anything else either...but perhaps I'm attacking it from the wrong angle?
Then, this morning, I OVERSLEPT and it didn't matter a toss. Wonderful.
And we ate almond croissant and watched (finally) Brokeback Mountain. Rather lovely,- though I do have a fondness for happy endings, which was clearly never going to be satisfied here.
Meanwhile, it rained and galed outside and I didn't feel I ought to be doing anything at all. Highly satisfactory,- can't remember when I last had a Sunday like thi!.
C, you are a wonderful friend to spend a holiday with. Thank you.
Can't imagine the rest of my leave will live up to these standards, but it's something to aim for!

13 comments:

Rebecca said...

Advertise the car on the autotrader website, it's £6 and someone will take it for scrap, honest. We got rid of a far worse car that way.

AndyGuts said...

Ah, a 2CV - THE car - I've been promised one (well we let the last one go 15+ years ago) for my 50th - and I've stared counting!

Kathryn said...

Oh Andy.....mine only departed 6 years ago....and I miss it hugely! I feel a bit like Beethoven "In heaven I will hear" - except in my case it will be "I will drive a 2CV"
I longed for one till I was 30, enjoyed 2 in succession for the next decade...and now??

Rebecca...not THAT bad. Just not as much as I'd hoped, given only 6 years old...£500 is prob more or less what L has to spend on a car, specially if G buys half of it to learn on.

1 i z said...

So the lovely C got the Rev K to watch her 'first ever Eurovision'. Kudos to C!

It's the thin end of the wedge I tell you...

sally said...

Thank you for letting me join you via text!!! xxx

Caroline said...

sally, my love, would this be an opportune moment for me to tell the world that the majority of your texts read 'i missed it i fell asleep'....:)

Kathryn said...

Sally, we ate the chocolate extra slowly to give you time to get down to Bristol...would have loved to see you too (though more fun awake!)

will smama said...

Now THAT's a birthday present!

Kathryn said...

Wills Mama...even if I'm paying for it myself????
But I do get your point!

LutheranChik said...

The very thought of buying a car is making my palms sweat. [rueful grin] (Although I really can't complain about my Dodge Intrepid -- oddly enough it's the car I spent the least amount of time researching before I bought it, and it's performed the best. And it's the perfect "midlife crisis" car -- a middle-aged-broad sedan disguised as a sports car.;-))

LutheranChik said...

BTW, your travels sounded fantastic.

Theresa Coleman said...

Hmmm.... I was just contemplating getting a third car... and we only have two driver.

I'm tempted to park the HUGE Expedition and get a Beetle. I just have to find the money....

I think you all pay a lot more for gas than we do -- although it's getting pretty steep around here right now.

Caroline said...

it would of course be crass to say that the US have to date paid significantly more - as at 22/5/06 2462 US military deaths to a 'mere' 111 UK military deaths. but then again, I guess iraqis have paid even more 42288 is suggested..

http://icasualties.org/oif/
http://www.iraqbodycount.org/

and then there's afghanistan...

oh sorry - its not about oil is it? My mistake.
And the brodacast statistics are aof course as reliable as our government.

sorry - i have no idea where that response came from.

i'll pay £1.00 a litre I guess.